PC Minutes from May 9, 2014
Julee Nunley & Shannon Wright
EVENTS & UPDATES:
- May 21st Movie Day:
- Added due to Wednesday half-day; permission slips will go out the week before.
- Please contact Lindsay Beane (LGBeane2@aol.com) or
Michelle Lawrence (firstname.lastname@example.org) to volunteer!
- June 5th Field Day:
- There will be 2 field days – one at MLK Building, and one at 7th Street Building.
- Each classroom will be responsible for a game through which all classes in the respective building will rotate. The games will be run by parent volunteers, please contact your class reps to help.
- Class Reps (K-4th), please contact Shannon Thornton (email@example.com) with the name and description of the game your classroom will host.
- Class Reps (5th-7th) please contact Tommy Priest (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the name and description of the game your classroom will host.
- For any K Reps or Reps that are new to Field Day, Shannon Thornton will provide a list of games used in years past to help you make your selection.
- First Tennessee 150 Days of Giving!
- We won $5,000! Thanks to everyone for participating in the voting process!
- Community Creates Results!
- ABS raised $27,000 gross, about $20,000 net after expenses.
- This money goes to support our Artists-in-Residence Program.
- Attendance was up this year – we received many positive comments about the move to the new building and the timing of the event (spring vs. previous fall timing). The Committee is already investigating a similar date for next year and will review other events in the community to hopefully avoid any conflicts.
ANNUAL GIVING 2014
- Results to date – About 8% Participation with approximately $8,700 raised.
- Link to online donations http://form.jotform.us/form/41053248414144
- Please send this link to family & friends!
- Participation is more important than dollar amount. This participation number is used in grant applications to show organizations that our families support and love ABS.
- Please donate! ANY amount is helpful!
- We will continue the campaign through the last day of school and hope to be able to report we’ve reached 100% participation!
PC BOARD ELECTIONS:
- Last call for nominations
- Ballots were distributed (results were combined with online votes)
- Newly elected PC Board for 2014-2015:
- Co Chairs: Michelle Lawrence & Shannon Wright (serving last year of current term)
- Secretary: April Greenwood
- Hospitality: Lynn Silkstone
- Annual Giving Team: Frances Beasley & Amy Jones
- Technology Team: Jason Ekstein, Donna Brown and Betty Hastings
PARENT SATISFACTION SURVEY RESULTS
- Summary of results submitted
- We had 77 respondents, approximately 25% of our families. A higher number of respondents would be helpful for grant applications.
- Many results were reviewed in the meeting, but a more comprehensive summary will be posted on the website.
- Discussion of Common Core in NC
- There is a bill before the NC Legislature to revoke Common Core.
- Common Core will still be taught in the Fall due to the length of legislative process.
- Common Core is a set of Federal standards in Language Arts and Math only.
- These standards are what they test.
- They altered 4 disciplines at once last year, and NC was already doing the math component.
- How these standards are met is determined by curriculum of school, ours is not the same as the county schools.
- Social studies & science drive our curriculum, and they may be revamped by NC, not Common Core.
MIDDLE SCHOOL LOGISTICS:
- Update on staffing, schedules, etc.
- Next year there will be 3 5th Grade classrooms, 2 each of 6th, 7th & 8th.
- A middle school science teacher will be hired to serve 7th & 8th grades.
- 5th & 6th will be primarily self-contained.
- In 7th & 8th, classes will always be in Math, Science, Social Studies/Language Arts, or Specials.
- Specials include Spanish, Band, Art, Drama, Dance & PE.
- Math will be leveled by ability, this will create mixed classes.
- Language Arts will not be leveled – they will be handled as they are throughout the school – different readings groups in the same classroom.
- Class times may be lengthened for some of the higher grades to allow for more in-depth classes and project work.
- Specials are not electives, all students will take the same specials.
- Discussion arose of potential after school clubs run by parents/teachers with special skills. Once middle school logistics are settled, this will be discussed further.
- Implementing AG next year for 3rd Grade & up.
- Board of Directors:
- May Meeting: Tuesday, May 13th @5:45pm, 7th Street Bldg.