ABS Thursday Notes- March 12, 2020
Published for the Arts Based School Community March 12, 2020
Updates on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
As reported in the news, two people from Forsyth County have tested positive for novel coronavirus, bringing the total of positive cases in North Carolina to 12. The couple from Forsyth County was on a cruise where other travelers tested positive.
As the situation continues to evolve, we are doing our best to stay on top of information and making decisions based the guidance of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS).
Our school staff and custodial staff are paying special attention to cleaning doorknobs, handrails and other high-touch surfaces, consistent with seasonal flu prevention. Additionally, the CDC recommends the following preventative actions to reduce the risk of developing COVID-19, influenza and other respiratory illnesses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
In addition, we are making some changes to our planned activities as a proactive response in limiting congregate settings to be as safe as possible with virus containment.
- We have cancelled all school-sponsored field trips until further notice.
- We have cancelled Friday Sing until further notice.
- We are making contingency plans for all student performances. We will have students perform but most likely without an audience. We could potentially film the performance and share with ABS families.
- Parent Council meetings are cancelled until further notice.
- Until further notice, we are suspending our volunteer/visitors program beginning Friday, March 13, reducing the number of visitors to campus. Parents picking up students for appointments will wait in the front office area.
YEARBOOK ORDERING DEADLINE
The deadline for yearbook orders is April 1st. Last year we sold out of yearbooks AND sold out of our reprint! Make sure you have your copy by ordering today! Orders can be placed by visiting the Strawbridge website at http://www.strawbridge.net/ and clicking the red “Order Pictures and Yearbooks” button at the top of the page. The price is $22 and our school code is YB106312.
As many of you experienced this morning, the traffic line was at a stand-still. It is helpful when exiting the traffic line and leaving the middle school parking lot, please consider turning right onto Chestnut Street. This will help parents who are trying to enter the line from Chestnut street and could help reduce the gridlock. Always remember to be considerate and safe! Also the time change seems to have shifted everyone a bit later than usual. There’s very little traffic from 7:45-8am. Thanks!
Summer Camp registration is now OPEN to ABS families. Be sure to visit our website to register your child while spaces are still available.